Monday, March 19, 2012

So this is what I am excited about?

I mentioned before that I thought I started my period....lets just say that's been confirmed...with cramps, cravings, sleepiness, and irritability. It's so weird that most girls dread their period. That is until, for whatever reason, they don't get it!

So the appointment was today. I got there early, of course, and the doctor was late, but it was ok. The nurse was fantastic! She was really personable and answered a lot of questions for me and made me really comfortable.

When the doctor got there, he sat with us and went over the information we had given him, and then told us we had a choice:

1. We can do a regular pelvic, transvaginal ultrasound, and a pap (because I am waaaaaaaay overdue), then he will have me get some basic bloodwork done and then he will give a drug to make me have a real period and then I will go on Clomid as long as all is well.

2. I can do the full battery of tests, where I do all the above, but before starting Clomid we weed out any other possibilities. That means a semen analysis for DH, a look at my fellopian tubes for blockages, etc., plus full genetic testing, and adds a couple of months to the time.

He said its up to us, and that since I am young, have a previous diagnosis (that he would confirm) and am in good health. So now we have that decision to make.

Let me tell you about the OTHER part of the visit....allllll those tests in option one! Ugh.

As I mentioned before, I started my period a few days ago. It has been really light, not even spotting really...just some funny colored CM.

Right before the pelvic exam he asks if I need to use the restroom, and I do. I go in and sure enough, I have actually started bleeding! I told the nurse and she said it's fine, since it isn't really a lot (yes, she checked my underwear!). I get on the table- heart sounds good, lungs sound good, breast exam is fine...time for the fun part. The actual pap smear isn't bad, but since I have PCOS he wants to check for endometrial cancer and that test will cause "some minor cramping" and do I want to do that, just to be safe? Sure, why not? It might save me from doing it later.

MINOR CRAMPING MY ASS! I was almost positive an alien was going to burst from my pelvis.

But it's over, and time for the ultrasound. Pretty typical really. Really uncomfortable, but he showed me my ovaries and all the cysts on the outside. He said it looks like typical Polycystic Ovaries, which is good, because we basically know how to treat that. He ALSO said that it looks like I did in fact ovulate during this cycle.

WHAT THE HECK???

So technically, if I had had sex on the right day, we wouldn't even BE here.

Ok...calm down and try to take it as good news. Hey! It looks like my parts all work, they just need to be kicked into gear!

After that, the exam was all over, and my paper gown, my legs, the paper sheet (which is a wee wee pad like you use for a dog) look like the end results of Shark Week, I get to go clean up.

So now, I get to have some basic blood tests (diabetes, a genetic test for those of jewish heritage, and std [j/i/c!] basically), and then make an appointment in about 3 weeks to see where we want to go from there.

DH and I talked about it a little, and I think we are going to skip the major testing. Why worry if there is no need? If I get those tests done before we know there is a problem, I will freak out until I get the results and I don't think I can take that.

So it looks like I will be on Clomid pretty soon! I am excited and scared! Gah!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your kind comments. I wish you the very best of luck on your journey to pregnancy. Its a hard path, but you are doing the right thing by trying everything you can to make it happen.

    ReplyDelete