Monday, January 10, 2011

Start Here.

   I decided to start this blog, because I believe that this can help me as well as other women going through the same things. I am 25, and I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). I am married a wonderful man, and we want to have children. PCOS makes that very difficult. We are lucky, because time is still on our side, but we are going to start utilizing that to our advantage. Tomorrow, I am seeing a gynecologist to discuss what steps we need to take to become pregnant.

   I intend to use this blog as a tool to vent frustrations that may arise with the process, and to inform others as to what I learn. There is not enough known, or discussed about PCOS. For information on the disorder, please see the helpful resources to the right of the blog. I will post as many helpful resources as I find.

   About me and my diagnosis: I was 15 when I was diagnosed with PCOS, and hadn't had a regular period since my first one at age 11. I was diagnosed by a gynecologist, after she ran blood tests to check hormone levels and did an ultrasound on my ovaries and saw the cysts.

   Some other things you should know; I am tall, and I was fit until age 11. I gained about 20 lbs that summer, and have continued to gain since. I now weigh 245, and thats after having lost 30lbs this year. I have an issue with facial and body hair (hirsutism), though its not nearly as bad as some girls have. I only have a few dark hairs on my chin which are easily pluck-able, and a couple strays that grow on my face, and exceptionally dark lip hair, which I bleach and wax. I do not get a regular period. I have gone from weeks to years without getting one. I did take the pill while in highschool, but had a lot of side effects, and half the time didn't remember the damn thing anyways. When I took it again in college, I bled a lot and was advised not to take it. 

   I have noticed that when I am dieting and exercising, or very active, I do tend to get a period. For instance, for the 4 months before my wedding, when I was working full time, plus planning a wedding, I had a semi-regular, though very light, period.

A lot of girls have insulin resistance with PCOS. I am lucky so far. My sugars have always been normal. My doctor put me on Metformin in high school, but I was, and still am, afraid of taking medicines I do not need. However, I have done some research and found that Metformin also helps prevent insulin resistance, so I am open to trying it again.

That's a (not so brief) history of my life with PCOS. I am trying to be thorough so that those who are just learning about this disorder have a good understanding. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment